Just got the keys to your new Build-to-Order (BTO) flat in Singapore and feeling a bit lost?
Don’t worry. This guide is your map through the unfamiliar territory of renovations.
In simple, clear steps, we’ll walk you through the whole BTO renovation process.
This journey may feel overwhelming now, but with this guide, you’ll feel prepared and eager to start creating your dream home.
The BTO Renovation Process Unveiled: A Closer Look
Understanding the process is the first step to a successful transformation.
While each Interior Designer (ID) firm may have unique practices, we’ll provide an easy-to-follow overview of the typical steps. Remember, flexibility is key as sequences may vary.
So, let’s take a look at the BTO renovation process, giving you insights into what lies ahead for your dream home.
1. Confirming the Layout and Design: The first step is to discuss and finalize the layout and design of the flat. This includes decisions on furniture placement, the overall color scheme, and the style of the home.
2. Material Selection: Once the layout and design are finalized, the next step is to select the materials to be used in the renovation. This includes choosing tiles for the floor and walls, selecting paint colors, deciding on the types of fixtures and fittings for the bathroom and kitchen, selecting materials for any built-in furniture or wardrobes, and choosing any features for the walls such as wallpaper or custom paneling.
3. Applying for Permits: Before any work can begin, it’s necessary to apply for the appropriate permits from the HDB for various types of work such as hacking of walls and rewiring.
4. Dismantling and Hacking (if necessary): If the new flat comes with fixtures that are not desired, these would be removed. However, homeowners need to check with HDB regulations to ensure that the planned changes are in compliance.
5. Electrical Wiring and Plumbing: Once the hacking is completed, electrical wiring and plumbing would be installed as per the finalized layout. This includes the placement of electrical outlets, light fixtures, pipes, taps, and more.
6. Carpentry Work: After setting up the basic wiring and plumbing, the carpentry work would start. This step involves constructing built-in furniture like wardrobes, kitchen cabinets, TV consoles, shelving units, and other custom furniture.
7. Laying of Flooring: Once the carpentry work is done, the chosen flooring material can be laid. This could include tiles, hardwood, vinyl, or any other type of flooring depending on the homeowner’s choice.
8. Painting: After the flooring is laid, the walls and ceilings would be painted according to the chosen color scheme.
9. Installation of Fixtures and Fittings: Following painting, various fixtures and fittings such as light fixtures, bathroom fixtures like sinks and showers, doors, and other components would be installed.
10. Clean-up: Upon the completion of the renovation work, it’s important to clean up the space, which can be done by the renovation contractor or a professional cleaning service.
11. Final Inspection and Handover: The last step is to conduct a final inspection to ensure that all the renovation work has been done according to the desired design and layout, and that there are no issues or defects. The renovated flat would then be handed over by the renovation firm to the homeowner.
Understanding the BTO renovation process enables you to stay informed and know what to expect.
Consider exploring bto renovation packages that tailored to your needs.
Armed with this knowledge, you can confidently navigate the journey and achieve a successful renovation.